Statistical Office in Łódź (SO in Łódź) belongs to public statistic services subordinated to the Statistisc Poland (SP) and acting on the base of:
- law dated 29th June 1995 on public statistics (Journal of Laws in 2018, item 997 with later amendments),
- instruction No. 14 of the President of the SP dated 24th August 2012 on detailed scale of duties and organization of SO in Łódź (SP Office Journal item 42 with later amendments),
- law dated 21st November 2008 on civil service (Journal of Laws in 2017, item 1889, 2203, Journal of Laws in 2018, item 106),
- Organization Statute of Office.
According to above documents main duties of the SO in Łódź include:
- organization and conducting statistical surveys, including national censuses,
- collection, gathering, storing analysis and generalising of statistical data according to programme of public statistics,
- announcing, providing and disseminating of the results of public statistics' surveys, including major figures and indicators,
- maintaining - in the part concerning Łódzkie Voivodship - country official registers:
REGON - units of the national economy,
TERYT - territorial division.